Monday, September 21, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

I had lunch with an old friend from high school the other day. We started talking about people who have changed or stayed more or less the same since high school.

I think college breeds change.
Actually, maybe it's not even change. Maybe it's just...self-discovery and self-assertion. Perhaps in college, people just feel more free to be themselves. In high school, they are funneled into cliques defined by set behaviors and actions. In college, they are left to their own devices, doing their own thing. It's not a big deal if none of their friends are in their classes. People are not tagged as loners if they eat lunch by themselves. Once people discover that they can get by determining their own daily agenda, they start working on defining their own person, their own statutes, and eventually, their own lives.

Perhaps those of us who haven't changed much since high school were already at that level of security.

I was extremely socially aware in high school. I saw high school cliques as separate countries that I did not have visas to. I could not even imagine hanging out with the people who were "popular," or "goth," or "hipster," or what have you.
Interestingly enough, it wasn't until after high school, that I became randomly reaquainted with a few people outside of my original high school clique. They weren't attached to their high school labels anymore. They are individuals. Individuals I can now relate to.

Yeah, I hate high school.

I can honestly say that right now, at this point in my life, I am the most self-assured as I have ever been. I am free. Independent. Ambiguous. Clique-less.

And it feels pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment