Sunday, December 6, 2009

Growing Up

I've been catching up with people lately. This semester has been pretty busy so I feel like I haven't been keeping in touch with people as regularly as I usually do.

It's weird, how our conversation topics has evolved. Or maybe it was just with the people I was talking to, I don't know.

In middle school and high school, we gossiped about other people, giggled over boys, and complained about school.
First years of college, our sentences started out with, "oh my gawwwd last weekend i got soooooo wasted," gossiped about other people, giggled over boys, and complained about school.
But now, amidst the "oh my gawwwd last weekend i got soooooo wasted," gossiping about other people, giggling over boys, and complaining about school, we'd get into broader subjects, topics that extend beyond the college bubble, beyond our own lives. We talk about nations of people, not just cliques of people. We talk about feuding countries, not just a feuding couple we are friends with. We complain about the state of our world, not just the state of our minds after a grueling paper or midterm.

I think it's so cool that we have reached that age in life where we've lived enough, experienced enough, and seen enough to have something to say regarding what we believe in and what we're passionate about. It's pretty awesome that I now can get a whole new perspective out of someone over lunch or dinner. Something more than who has a crush on whom, or who slept with whom, although those are fun and interesting to know in their own right.

Speaking of gossip, I heard that since the development of the Facebook newsfeed, couples have been breaking up left and right.
"Why are you commenting on that bitch's status?!?! Are you getting back together with her?!?! We're OVER!!!"
Hahaha I hate Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment