Saturday, December 12, 2009

Procrastination

I like Emile Durkheim. I think we'd be friends if he was still around.

I feel like sociology is such a relevant topic. Arguably it's the most relevant topic in the world. Everyone is literally living sociology, they just don't think about it.
Yet it is not a subject taught in high school.
I think it's because we like to believe we are special. We are all independent of each other. We are all individuals. We forge our own paths, make our own decisions, and have our own ideas.
Sociology states that we are products of society. Or, if you are Durkheimian in your views, EVERYTHING is a product of society.

It's quite the brain fuck if you really get into it.

I went to a concert yesterday. The drummers were banging, guitarists wailing, singers singing so hard, you can see the protruding veins in their necks. People were clapping, screaming, singing along, dancing to the music reverberating through their very being.
And in the middle of rocking out, I thought about how we are moved by the simple aggregation of music enthusiasts to act in manners removed from our everyday selves. Our emotions evoked by the live music are echoed and magnified by the thousands of people in the stadium, making us scream louder and dancing harder, completely losing our individual selves and becoming part of a grander experience.

Collective effervescence at a rock concert.

Take a sociology class or two and you can't see anything at face value ever again.

EDIT:
The next time someone starts touting about the superiority of his religion, I am going to chuck my copy of The Elementary Forms of Religious Life at him. Hopefully, that person would pick it up, read it, and cease to be a religious bigot. If not, having a book flung at him would probably leave a nasty bruise. Either way, I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment