Friday, January 23, 2009

Week One

Thank God Almighty. I have survived week one of the spring semester and the only traumatizing experience I had was mispronouncing "epidemiology" in my epidemiology class. (eh-puh-dee-mee-AH-lo-gee.) I also touched a human brain today so that was cool. Maybe I'll donate my body to science. The idea of disintegrating in a wooden box six feet underground gives me the willies.
I also discovered Fleet Foxes yesterday. They are amazing. If you are a closet acapella fan, this band is a healthy outlet. It's cool their voices are part of the music and it's not just the same 2 guitars, drums, bass, and lead singer combo. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
For those of you who don't live in the Bay Area, you probably didn't hear too much about Oscar Grant. Oscar Grant was an African American man shot and killed by a BART police officer on New Year's Day. The police officer who shot unarmed Oscar Grant resigned from the BART police force and was recently convicted of murder. It just goes to show that, despite the minority president we currently have in office (Whoo Obama!), racism is still painfully prevalent in our country. It's going to take a lot more than a black president to eradicate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment